Sunday 9 April 2017

What I have been cooking



Since giving up meat and dairy I have come across a variety of different ingredients, herbs and spices. I never knew vegetables could taste so nice.




I have replaced meat with beans and lentils to ensure I am still getting enough protein. Chickpeas, Red kidney Beans, Butter Beans are some of the few that have protein. One of my favourite dishes is lentil curry. It's super easy to make and very quick. The kids love it too.




It's ingredients are

1½ tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil

1 cup diced onion

1 cup dried red lentils

½ teaspoon ground turmeric

1 tablespoon mild curry powder

1 teaspoon ginger powder

1 teaspoon garlic salt

½ teaspoon Himalayan Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

3½ cups water

1 cup of coconut milk


You just need to brown off the Onion then add the rest of the ingredients, bring to the boil and then simmer for 25 minutes until lentils are soft.


This is a very basic lentil curry. You can add vegetables and potatoes to it. I added sultanas which gave it a sweet taste. Also I didn't make it too spicy so the kids can eat it so if you wanted to spice it up you can add cayenne pepper or chilli.


The spices in this curry are super good for you. Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and a antioxidant. Ginger is also anti-inflammatory. It helps with digestion and nausea. It also has been proven to lower blood sugar levels.



                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment